My darling daughter recently bought metres of flannel in 4 colours, and asked if I could sew up around 48 cloth wipes for her so she could ditch the store-bought wet wipes.
Of course, since I love both my daughter and my sewing machine, I agreed!
I have to fess up though, it’s been a s-l-o-o-o-o-w process for me. It’s not my very favourite kind of sewing, as you hopefully will agree. But I promised, and besides, there’s not much I wouldn’t do for my daughter, and even less for my grandson, and after all… there’s the good-for-the-environment angle that’s just all over this project.
So, in amongst the mundane cutting and sewing of flannel, I’ve spiced it up by adding in a little gorgeousness.
I love this hat pattern by MiekK! It’s so fabulous to make up. It’s the same pattern I’ve just used to make a little bucket hat for Austin, but this one is for little Aliya in Perth, and I had to make a little adjustment.
Aliya’s hat needed a tie. Now, this would have been an excellent addition for Austin’s hat too, given he wouldn’t keep it on his head for more than a nanosecond, but of course, being a boy, that dog wouldn’t hunt, as they might say in some parts of the world. That is completely out of the question. Now, for Aliya, it was essential, but the pattern didn’t have a ribbon tie option, so I had to work out what to do.
I created a kind of button-hole for the ribbon to pass through from one side to the other, attaching the ribbon securely in between the sides.
I simply thread the ribbon through the hole, and gently pull it through.
Easy peasy lemon squeezy! If you’re interested, I could do a little tutorial to show how I did it. Let me know in the comments if you’d like that, and I’ll put one together over the holidays.
Now onto a second hat for Aliya, this time in black and white.
Then tomorrow, I’ll pull myself away from these pretties, and get back onto the flannel wipes for Devorah. Definitely. No, really. Definitely.